'I'll play anywhere' - Manchester United star ready to come to Van Gaal's rescue


Michael Carrick says he is willing to provide cover in the centre-back position at Old Trafford.

Manchester United fans - do not fear, for Michael Carrick is willing to be your saviour this season.

After Louis van Gaal's side lost 1-0 at Manchester City on Sunday - meaning they are still without an away win this term - the defensive troubles piled up for the Old Trafford outfit.

Chris Smalling is now suspended for one match, although he looks like he could do more harm to United while on the pitch. Paddy McNair, meanwhile, still has little experience at just 19 years of age.

And, along with Man United's other injuries in defence, Marcos Rojo could now be out for up to six weeks.

But Carrick's response to whether he could slot in at centre-back to rescue Van Gaal's side in their hour of need has been emphatic. Indeed, the 33-year-old says he'll play 'anywhere.'

“It’s not something I’ve played an awful lot of. I’ve had spells of it over the years, playing two or three or four games in a season," Carrick is quoted as saying by the Daily Mirror.

“If I need to play there, then fine. I’ve not had a lot of football recently, so I’ll play anywhere – I don’t mind.

“I think we have different options and can play different formations. We have a god variety, now we just need to get players fit and have more options to choose from.” source: hereisthecity.com

Is Carrick a good option at centre-back for United?

Back To Top